I help U.S. government contractors win contracts that they have been unfairly denied and I help them deal with their troubled contracts. Based on my experience in government and corporate positions as well as in private practice, I focus on contract issues with the U.S. Government and U. S. Government regulation of international business, as well as a wide range of transactional matters, international and domestic contract issues and litigation matters. I am admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
I have represented clients in commercial business matters, including such matters as sale of a business, drafting of commercial procurement and sales contracts, dealings with foreign sales representatives, drafting corporate policies, standard contracts and forms, negotiation and drafting of agreements for international and domestic transactions, and corporate compliance reviews and compliance structuring.
I have served as in-house counsel in several departments of the General Electric Company, with responsibility for all legal matters, including a wide range of personnel matters. In addition to providing counseling on government contract matters, including grants and leases, to a number of the clients, I have participated in due diligence exercises for corporate sales. I have conducted contract litigation in the administrative tribunals and U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
I also represent clients with regard to other federal administrative matters as well, such as export controls, anti-boycott and embargo regulations, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Exon-Florio and FOCI matters, and the Freedom of Information Act.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1971
- M.P.A., John F. Kennedy School of Government, 1971
- B.A., Andrews University, 1967
- Attorney-Advisor, U.S. General Accounting Office, 1971-1972
- Attorney-Advisor, Department of the Navy, Naval Air Systems Command, 1972-1976
- Assistant to the General Counsel of the Navy, 1976-1978
- Associate Counsel, Naval Air Systems Command, 1978
- Corporate Counsel, General Electric Company, Aerospace Group, 1978-1985
- Manager, Procurement Policy, General Electric Company, Washington DC, 1985-1987
- Partner, McDermott, Will & Emery, Washington DC, 1987-1997
- Partner, Greenberg Traurig, Washington DC, 1997-2004
- Principal, Law Office of Jon W. van Horne, Esq., Washington DC, 2004 to present
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Management & Technology, University of Maryland University College, 2008 to present